Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Search For Safe Begins With Laziness ... Part 55

I am lost, I am sitting on my couch with a cup of tea and the last slip of paper Borgo gave me.


"The place you seek is surrounded by ocean. The natives still possess the land."


Where the hell could this be?  Some Spanish island maybe? Japan? 


It can't be any of those. If the the place is old to him, It's ancient. The only place that makes sense right now is Africa, but Africa is second to last place i want to be. It's the complete opposite of Antarctica, I will not enjoy it. I decided to forget the note and threw it on the table. I had the thing memorized, I've been looking at it for almost a day now. The slip of paper flew gracefully and evaporated the moment it touched the surface of the table. He really doesn't like to leave anything extra around. 


I wonder where everybody went. 


The pieces of Ramsey's sword are still laying in a satchel near the TV. I though he would have destroyed that or something. Things with that much magical potential are dangerous to leave around, even in pieces.


I can't stand this place. I'm not waiting for anyone to return any longer. I'm leaving but where will I go? I need to find a place to hide Ramsey's old sword. He might have forgotten it but I won't leave this here for someone dangerous to find. Without thinking I thew the satchel into my jacket. I thought about the last place someone would look but nothing inspiring came to mind. I retreated to the TV for guidance. Nothing good was on. Fifth Element, Christmas music, Biggest Loser, The History of Atlantis .... We have always been taught that it is a  myth, but the last few months have showed me that nothing we have been taught is true. I finished watching the show and focused all my will on the place, pulled out a portal and stepped through with my eyes closed and as much air as I could hold in my lungs. 


I was expecting rushing water and eye popping pressure. 


A slight breeze hit my face. I opened my eyes and deeply exhaled, waking up the old man sitting on a bench in front of me. The place was completely dark except for the spot light on the bench and me. It was starting to get a bit hot now.



"So you have finally arrived"
"I'm expected?!"
"Word travels quickly in the supernatural circles, and believe me, Borgo's death causes quite a stir every time."
"He did mention dying before"
"I think he considers it a sport"

"I guess at that age, not many things are exhilarating as death"
"I can't imagine death being all that exhilarating after being through it as many times as he has. We have quite a collection of bets here just for the next time he dies."
"You guys bet? With what?"
"Souls mostly. The more you possess. The more fun you get to have. It's always interesting to get someone elses' souls, see how they treated them and then just turn the fates around for awhile."
"You guys are some cruel fuckers"
"You can't say you wouldn't do the same, this place is pretty boring, but enough with the chit chat, your room is waiting"


We exited the atrium and light filled the chambers. The place was utterly amazing. All the paths were made of glass and light shone in through the ocean filling the halls with the movements of the currents. The utter beauty of the place often distracted me as I followed the old cripple man. The tapping of his crystal cane on the glass of the floor was almost melodic. 


He stopped in front of a large oak door. 


"From here, forth. Your path continues. Choices and challenges await. Go hence till your training is complete."
"Before I leave you, will you hold on to something for me."
"We do not hold, we only exchange. What is is that you want to trade."
"A sword."
"We do not welcome artifacts of violence in this realm."
"It is harmless. It broke in his sleep, he only used it to do good. This sword has only brought violence to evil, but I believe evil will have sought after it to use it against my companion"
"You have much to learn, but I will oblige you and trade you your sword"


He proceeded to take the satchel and give me a card. It looked like a playing card written in a foreign tongue, but everything was consistently changing. I disregarded it and put it into my jacket and pushed the doors open. The old man was melodically walking away by the time the doors closet behind me. 


Silence fell. A crystal maze stood before me.

"A challenge of patience stands before you. Take all the time you require."

I took out a pistol and shot one of the panes. A loud crack took over the whole room. The bullet ricocheted. I could hear the remains of the bullet drop some distance away.


Silence fell.

StumbleUpon

No comments: