Thursday, February 11, 2010

Top Men, Part 74

"So let me get this straight," I said. "We have to get Alex, and then start the Apocolypse?"

"Yup," Stewart said.

"Ahuh." I looked over toward Zach, where he was sitting in the corner, not looking at either of us. "Hey, Zach," I said. He didn't answer. "Does this sound crazy to you, too?"

"More than crazy."

"Yeah, me too. Hey, Zach?"

"Yeah?"

"You know what's stupid?"

"What?"

"Stewart and his stupid plan."

Zach laughed at this, but he never looked up at me. I wasn't sure what had happened between him and Stewart, but whatever it was had ruined their friendship, and it looked to be beyond my skills to repair. I was worried about him--he seemed sad, though I couldn't help thinking back to the loss I'd suffered, the pain I'd been through. What had happened to Zach to make him think he's the only one in the world to experience pain? I wanted to talk to him, away from Stewart, but that didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. Stewart was the lord of more than one domain, now, and despite all of our power Zach and I didn't have whole armies to control. Still, I felt like, if it came to it, we could take him. I hoped it didn't come to it, though.

"So I guess we have to go find Alex, now," I said.

"Yup," Stewart said. "And I know this seems crazy to both of you, but believe me--this is the way it has to be. We have to do this, or else, well, we just have to."

"Since when are you the one making the decisions?" Zach said. "Last time I checked you have a friggin demon in you so excuse me if I don't follow your every order, Massa."

The tension was palpable, it seemed to burn up and fill the air with smoke. "Why us?" I asked, trying to break the tension.

"Why?" Stewart repeated, and then smiled. "Because they need top men."

"Top men?" I asked.

"Top men."

"Ohhhh. Cause that makes sense. Anyway I think we shou--"

"Top men."

"Stop interrupt--"

"Top men."

"Goddamnit. You can't d--"

"Top men."

Goddamnit.


-The Knight

StumbleUpon

No comments: