Thursday, January 14, 2010

As Flares Dwindle .. Part 67

I was awaken by an intense pain in my leg. The pain was so intense I could not open my eyes for several moments. I was surprised to see the old man stabbing my leg with his cane.

"We can get that looked at if you wish."

"Here?"
"Well, no. We'll take you out of here and treat you in our infirmary."
"... and my progress?"
"Well, that's the tricky thing. You will have to start over."
"Will everything change?"
"It might."
"In that case, mind giving me a hand?"
"That I cannot do."
"Always have to do everything myself, always."
"That is the normal course of things."


I took out everything I needed to fix myself. I was lucky the arrow pierced the leg and the arrowhead did not stop in my calf. Removing the armor was extremely painful but after some time it was finally off and I could work on my leg. 


I got up and started to cripple away from the old man. He was waving me off and the pain was slowly going away and the drugs, I took while bandaging my leg, were kicking in. 


The room I entered was completely dark. I couldn't see the exit. I could hardly see more than a meter in front of me. I took out a flare and threw it in front of me. It landed beside a 7 foot tall robot. Its presence surprised me. I didn't know what to do. It was inanimate. The metal was glistening in the light of the flare. The robot had no face, it looked like something an artist would use as a sketch model. 


I took a step towards it. Something clicked and where the robots face was an orb of blue lit up. The flare was going out but the light from the orb was filling the space between us. I was uneasy and took out a katana and two holsters with pistols which I strapped to my leg and side. 


I threw out several more flares around me and took another step. Something clicked again and the robot charged. I barely dodged the robot and jumped to my feet and attacked his back with the sword. The katana clanged against the robots metal exterior. I didn't see any noticeable damage on the robot. It spun and knocked the sword out of my hands. It landed somewhere beyond the flares. 


I didn't know how to fight it. It's armor seemed impenetrable and the dark made the fight that much more difficult. I figured I had to destroy the orb but the robot was extremely fast and agile. 


I took out another sword for defense and  removed one of the pistols from its holster. Using the sword to deflect punches from the robot I tried my best not to let it get the advantage but the flares were slowly dwindling and the area grew darker and darker. The robot's limbs slowly became almost like ghosts in the darkness and the concentration required to focus and fight was quickly draining my energy.


The last flare was going out and the robot lunged at me with one of the most aggressive and powerful attacks of the fight. I took a chance and dropped the sword and jumped at the robot into a roll. He was flying over just in time for the orb to be easily accessible. Time slowed, I aimed and took the shot. The orb exploded with a loud crack and light flooded the room.


I was catching my breath on the cold crystal floor when I caught glimpse of the numerous identical robots surrounding me. None of the orbs were glowing but I knew my time was limited. I only managed to hit two of the robots before they sprung to life. The robots charged me and were quickly approaching but I had just enough time to port to another part of the room. 


The robots were disoriented for a short time until they noticed me in the corner of the room. A loud crack filled the room and one of the robots dropped lifeless to the floor. I dropped the sniper and ported back into the action. The sword proved to be a sufficient defensive weapon and allowed me to go through the fight almost unharmed. 


As the fight continued the robots fought flawlessly. They were merely waiting for me to make a mistake. Their opportunity came when their double team tossed me into the air and I landed on my bad leg. I stumbled to the ground and one of the robots jumped at me. The fourth robot's lifeless chassis dropped to the floor with a dagger going through its blue orb. 


As I was getting another sword the last robot recovered from his fall and attacked before I was ready to defend myself. He managed to punch my sword wielding hand, breaking a finger or two. I dropped the sword and ported away from the robot. He must have expected the port and quickly followed appearing almost immediately after me from the portal. 


I was clutching my hand on the ground as the robot was flying at me and quickly pulled out my second pistol shooting the orb moments before the robot's hands made it to my throat. 


I struggled to get the heavy carcass off of me, holstered the gun and made my way to the exit.

StumbleUpon

No comments: